Monday, May 4, 2009

Neighbours and Trees (Part One)

This has absolutely nothing to do with the TV Soap Opera that brought you Kylie Minogue and is apparently watched by millions of British viewers everyday. Although, it is set in a street in Melbourne and I have lived here on and off for most of the last 37 years, I must admit that I don’t know which suburb it is supposedly in. In fact I have never watched a single episode or even a few fleeting moments.

In years gone by, my Mum used to watch ‘Coronation Street’ regularly and I caught my Dad watching it on occasions and I can still remember Ena Sharples and her fellow hags Minnie and Martha drinking glasses of Milk Stout in the Snug in the Rover’s Return along with Albert Tatlock and Ken Barlow. I put this down to the fact that the TV was a recent addition to the household and I could be found in moments of idleness, staring transfixed at ‘The test pattern’ and even the little white dot when that had disappeared.

These days I don’t watch it at all, at the last count we had about five of them, with various attachments such as VCR’s and CD players and games type things. They are now so complicated that I never even attempt to turn four of them on. The fifth one is in my shed a little itty bitty one, that sits next to my printer and doesn’t even have a remote. I bought it from a place like that one in ‘Steptoe and Son’ (Now, that was a good programme) for about ten quid and the only time it ever gets turned on is for Test Matches and the recent Olympics.

So, having said that this is nothing to do with TV programmes, I’ve spent the last twenty minutes rambling on about them. This is actually about ‘Neighbours’, the people who live next to you. Which I will explain in my next post.

Cheers for now,

SkyBlueSkull

http://keith-skellern.blogspot.com

No comments: