Thursday, May 7, 2009

Horology, me and Alby Einstein

I got to thinking about time this morning at about 5:00am, not because it was earlier than usual for me to wake up, as I can be visiting the bathroom at all hours of the night and day, but I won’t go into that. That’s something that I shall have to discuss with my Urologist, who’s only connection with a Horologist is her wristwatch/calendar.

No! this morning the Good Lady Wife (GLW) woke me to tell me that she was going on to the Net to chat with her friend in the Philippines and her friend’s sister in California. In order to do this, they had to take various time zones and work commitments into consideration.

I must admit that I wasn’t really interested and turned over to get back to an interesting and convoluted dream. Sleep eluded me as did the dream and I started thinking about time zones in general and ‘daylight saving’ in particular.

If my memory serves me correctly, which would be a bit of an aberration, ‘daylight saving’ was introduced into Britain in WWII during one of their infrequent summers. This setting the clock back an hour served two purposes, waking them up an hour earlier, even though they were knackered, meant that they got an extra hour of sunshine at the end of the day. During which they could ‘do war-like things’ and as an added bonus it also brought them into line with continental Europe.

It’s a bit awkward if you’re waging a war and one side gets there an hour early and packs up and goes home an hour before the other mob are ready to call it a day. Of course ‘daylight saving’ was only possible during summer, because it gets dark in Britain, in winter, at about 4:00pm and it doesn’t get light again until 8:00am.

This is due to the fact that Britain lies between 50 and 60 degrees north of the equator, which puts it at the same level as Southern Canada. As every schoolgirl can attest the Earth’s axis is on a bit of a lean and rotates around the Sun every 365 days, thus giving rise to ‘The Seasons’ and endless conversations about ’The Weather’.

Except at the Equator, where they get 12 hour days and 12 hour nights every day of the year and it’s so hot that nobody has any energy to discuss the weather, or anything else really! This means that the closer you get to the Equator, the less is the probability of the Government introducing ‘Daylight Saving’.

Unless there is electricity in those countries, they have an excess of energy left over from their siestas and if you can’t work it off at a disco, or nightclub when it cools off a tad at night. What are they going to do?? Bonk of course, nowt else to do is there really?

Well, I don’t know about you, but I’ve lost the whole point of this Blog at this stage. What the hell has any of this got to with Horology, Einstein or me for that matter. I shall have to go to bed and sleep on it .

Cheers for now,

SkyBlueSkull

No comments: