Sunday, March 29, 2009

More about my best friend. Sparky the Collie.

When I left this topic a few weeks ago, me and my offspring were at a farmlet West of Melbourne, checking out some Border Collie pups. A consensus was reached and I forked out A$200 for the one my daughter chose. A cute little critter that looked a bit like a Panda (facially that is, not at all like one otherwise).

A$200 seemed like a bit of a bargain at the time as they were charging $210 at the dog pound. However, their’s were de-sexed, vaccinated and micro-chipped and mine wasn’t and still isn’t, apart from the vaccinations. It still has it’s nuts and it hasn’t run off yet, in fact it seems to like it around Chateau Skull, so who needs a micro-chip, apart from the local council.

I won’t go into the reasons, because I’m trying to keep this blog short and it’s a long story, but it ended up with the name ‘Sparky’. If anybody out there really wants to know why, you can email me or blog me.

Sparky was and still is a ‘Chick Magnet’ when I take him for walks, which is 3-4 times a day, males smile at him and heaps of females stop me and want to pat him. They usually ask me “Can i stroke it?” and being a sicko pervert, I answer “Yes and if you’re good, you can stroke the dog as well.”

That aside, the pooch is not at all a ‘house dog’ after disgracing himself by pissing on the carpets (twice) in his first five minutes in the Chateau. He now lives with me, in my garage/study/kennel/aviary/workshop and is not allowed inside the house. I’m allowed in, for feeding and sleeping purposes.

This is a fairly good arrangement for all concerned, Sparky had exceedingly sharp claws and being a friendly, jumpy sort of a dog succeeded in tearing flesh from the arms and legs of any passing humans, including myself. Having personally got through a box of band-aids a week, I took him to the vet for a pedicure.

He also tends to cause a lot of destruction in our mutual abode, tearing down anything that can be torn down, eating books and terrorising my two remaining birds, although he can't reach them YET. He has become toilet trained to a degree, but if I discipline him (by beating him around the head with a bit of four by two) he comes in, defiantly looks me in the eye and pisses up my desk and runs off before I can catch him.

These habits have not endeared him to the rest of the family and although his claws are now considerably more blunt, he still insists on jumping up gleefully to greet people. After nearly three months of being well-fed, he has just about trebled in size, which is a tad worrisome.

More to follow eventually.

Cheers,

SkyBlueSkull

http://keith-skellern.blogspot.com

No comments: